Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Pitter Patter of Little (Angel) Feet

Angel Feet Charms have quite a history in our business.

Just over two years ago, a friend of mine told me she was pregnant, and started sending me pictures of her ultrasounds. (Okay, I'm weird, I love looking at pregnant women's ultrasounds!)
In one of those pictures, there was the perfect image of the bottom of the little guy's foot. My mind started working (always a scary prospect!), and I dug out the ultrasound pics of my own two boys. There they were, the bottom of the feet. Not as clear, but still all five little toes on each foot. Tiny little heel. Precious arch. (Smoke was pouring out of my ears at this point, I was thinking so hard!)
I grabbed a lump of polymer clay, and from those pictures, started to sculpt a tiny little foot. First, I figured out what would be the perfect size charm for a charm bracelet or pendant. (About 18 mm long) Then the research started to find an age correlation to the size of the charm. Low and behold, 15 weeks into the pregnancy, a baby's foot is about 18 mm long.
I then decided that polymer clay just didn't do it justice. It needed to be metal. Precious metal. Precious metal clay. (Okay, I actually use Art Clay Silver, but it's basically the same thing.) So, I made a mold from the polymer clay version. One mold. That's it. (I sincerely hope that I never lose it, or wears out!!!) And I started making these beautiful, tiny, fine silver feet.

The next step was to name them. Many emails among my friends. A lot of posting to my old website. About a month later, after much wrangling and thinking and talking, it was pretty much unanimous, and Angel Feet Charms were born. And it really only took about 6 months.

Now, I'm starting to offer my Angel Feet Charms and jewelry in my Etsy shop. So far, I have the twelve birthstone charms, and the five different bracelets up. I will be finessing the pictures as I go along, and improving them. But for right now, they are there, looking pretty.

By the end of next week, I'm hoping that I will have gotten the pins and the necklaces up and ready for sale, so keep checking back. I will, of course, be letting you know here, when they are up.

Until then, keep crafting and keep having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment